Building Resilience: Climate Risk Management and International Development
On September 26, 2016, Climatelinks and co-sponsors USAID, the Climate and Development Knowledge Network, Future Climate for Africa, International Institute for Environment and Development and World Wildlife Fund hosted a Twitter chat on climate risk management.
- During the chat, participants discussed what climate risk management is, examples of climate risk management activities around the world and key takeaways and lessons learned from these activities. Participants also shared useful tools and resources, some of which you can find in the list below. Provide your comments (by using the Disqus feature below) on this discussion and on what climate risk management tools and resources you use!
- Climate Risk Management Resources & Tools
- Caribbean Climate Online Risk and Adaptation Tool (CCORAL) - This Caribbean-focused tool helps organizations make climate resilient decisions.
- Climate Change in Your Sector - This tool provides illustrative climate stresses, direct and indirect impacts, and possible adaptation and mitigation responses relevant to specific sectors.
- Climate Change Knowledge Portal for Development Practitioners and Policy Makers - This portal provides an online tool for access to comprehensive global, regional, and country data related to climate change and development.
- Climate-Smart Planning Platform - This platform aims to make it easier for practitioners to locate and access the tools, data, and knowledge that they need for climate-smart planning.
- Guide: What does it take to mainstream disaster risk management in key sectors? - This guide draws on the experience of CDKN’s programs on climate-related disaster risk management (DRM) within the context of climate compatible development.
- Promoting the use of climate information to achieve long-term development objectives in sub-Saharan Africa: Results from the Future Climate for Africa scoping phase - This report highlights the limitations of climate information as a result of the quality and accessibility of data; the capacity to interpret and apply climate information and the problem of decision-making in light of uncertainty, and identifies the opportunities available to support the greater use of climate information.
- Small Island States Resilience Initiative - The Initiative brings together experiences from disaster risk management and climate resilience to help reduce fragmentation of the financial landscape, provide technical assistance to overcome capacity challenges in fiduciary and technical aspects of investments, and assist Small Island States in accessing scaled up and more efficient financing for resilience.
- USAID Climate Risk Management Resources - These resources include country-specific climate change fact sheets that summarize existing information on current and expected future climate changes as well as country-level greenhouse gas emissions.
- WWF Adapt - This resource provides learning tools that help conservation, development and humanitarian professionals better understand climate change adaptation, resilience-building and multi-hazard disaster risk reduction and their relationships to the natural environment.
- Read on to explore the full chat conversation:
Question 1: What risks are associated with climate change and how do they impact development?
Question 2: What is climate risk management?
- And being prepared to seize opportunities! Usually more like the earlier the planning occurs... #ClimateRM https://twitter.com/WWFscience/status/780410487343226880 …
Question 3: In practice, what does climate risk management look like? What are examples of climate risk management activities?
- A3: One way to manage risk is by using nature to help increase human resilience... says Hannah Reid, IIED Research… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/780412041525878784 …
Question 4: What are some useful resources and tools we can utilize for climate risk management?
- A4: Consider #ecosystem based adaptation, especially if the aim is to target the poorest & most vulnerable...… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/780414211377786880 …
- A4: Also attend or stream WWF Fuller Symposium on climate resilience Nov 15 https://www.worldwildlife.org/pages/2-degrees-later-resilience-in-a-changing-world … #climateRM
Question 5: What are some good practices, lessons learned and/or takeaways from applying climate risk management in development planning and activities?
- A5: #EbA is often presented as a win-win for environment & development. It is not... there are winners, losers & tr… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/780416415174107136 …
Questions 6: How can organizations, practitioners and others advance collaboration in this area for better results?
- A6 We hv to cultivate not only solutions together, but also a new vision which inspires others:… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/780418859375493120 …