Job Announcement - Senior Sustainable Landscapes Advisor
Job Title: Senior Sustainable Landscapes Advisor, Foreign Service Limited position (FSL-02), Bureau for Economic Growth, Education, and Environment (E3)
The E3 Bureau is seeking a Direct-Hire FSL-02 to serve as a Senior Sustainable Landscapes Advisor, who may also serve as SL Team Leader. The position is based in Washington, DC and provides program leadership, policy advice and technical expertise to the E3 Bureau and Missions with Sustainable Landscapes programs. Sustainable Landscapes programs promote carbon-smart land management to improve livelihoods and resilience while reducing greenhouse gas emissions. The Senior Sustainable Landscapes Advisor will provide strategic and technical leadership in developing, implementing, and evaluating a sustainable landscapes agenda to enable country self-reliance in the sector, bringing global and regional analysis and expertise to bear on USAID field programs.
Sustainable Landscapes (SL) programs prioritize attention on globally important forests and focus support to countries where forest loss and land degradation prevail, where land-based activity accounts for a large fraction of GHG emissions, and where a large proportion of the population depends on forests and other land resources for their livelihoods and well-being. Improved land management can increase carbon storage, and in some circumstances land productivity, while strengthening resilience to natural hazards, protecting water resources, and maintaining biodiversity among other benefits. Sustainable landscape programs include a wide range of approaches such as protecting mangroves and tropical forests, restoring peatlands, improving management of production forests and agricultural lands, establishing sustainable sourcing mechanisms for land-based products, establishing monitoring and reporting systems for land-based emissions, and supporting governance and land tenure processes.
The Senior Sustainable Landscapes Advisor will serve as an agency technical expert and resource person across all areas of the Sustainable Landscapes sector and, depending on decisions regarding the E3 Bureau’s pending reorganization, may serve as the team leader for the Sustainable Landscapes Team. Following are the major, though not all inclusive, areas of work of this position, which will be carried out with a team of six to eight members:
- Provide technical, policy, and strategic leadership for the Agency’s Sustainable Landscapes Program and the Agency’s Sustainable Landscapes (SL) Congressional earmark.
- Advise USAID/Washington (E3, Regional Bureaus and other Pillar Bureaus) and Missions on technical and policy aspects of Sustainable Landscapes, sector trends and issues, and the application of best practices to support partner countries on the path to self-sufficiency in sustainable land management.
- Communicate, influence and advocate for sustainable environment and natural resource management in the wider development context, verbally and in writing, with senior stakeholders both internal and external to the Agency.
- Serve as a senior technical expert on field-based issues related to Sustainable Landscapes including identifying and addressing social, economic, and biophysical drivers of land use change and land management that influence GHG budgets and ecosystem services.
- Act as a technical liaison with other USG agencies, donor organizations, multilateral banks, private
voluntary organizations, U.S. universities, the private sector and professional organizations to
coordinate their efforts with USAID programs, policies, and approaches in the sector.
- Advance Agency and field priorities through Washington-based and in-country support of strategic
planning, design, analysis and evaluation of country, regional, and global sustainable landscapes programs, involving other U.S. Government departments and agencies, other divisions within USAID, and the U.S. and developing country private and non-governmental sectors.
- Serve as a technical expert supporting U.S. and international policy including bilateral and multilateral negotiations involving sustainable landscapes issues.
- Engage in technical leadership to ensure policy and program coordination within the USG and with other donors on partnerships and initiatives such as SERVIR, SilvaCarbon, Global Forest Watch, and Tropical Forest Alliance 2020.
- Oversee centrally administered programs/projects that support E3’s technical leadership role and Mission programs, including dissemination of findings or methodologies to USAID-assisted countries and the development community.
- The position description also includes the flexibility for supervisory authority, and depending on experience and organizational needs, the incumbent may be asked to supervise a group of employees performing work at the GS-13 and 14 levels and below.
- Supervisory duties would include administrative and technical supervision necessary for accomplishing the work of the unit as well as administrative and human resource management functions relative to the staff supervised.
Interested candidates should submit:
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
- Must hold at least a master’s degree in a relevant field (e.g. forestry, climate science, international development, etc.).
- Must have a minimum of 10 years’ work experience in a directly related area.
- Must be a senior technical expert who is well established in the field of sustainable land use and
- Must have demonstrated knowledge and experience in several key areas relevant to sustainable
landscapes: protecting tropical forests, mangroves or peatlands; improving management of production lands including forests and/or agriculture; restoring terrestrial ecosystems; establishing sustainable sourcing mechanisms for land-based products; establishing monitoring and reporting systems for land-based emissions; international climate negotiations; and supporting governance and land tenure processes.
- Must have prior experience working in one or more developing countries.
- Must have demonstrated ability to manage complex projects involving multi-year time frames and
- Must have demonstrated ability to achieve results and influence institutional decisions in complex
organizations, with and without direct lines of authority.
- Must have excellent written and oral communication skills, including demonstrated ability to effectively
communicate technical subject matter to non technical audiences internal and external to the Agency.
- Must have experience designing and delivering presentations and trainings on sustainable landscapes
- Must demonstrate knowledge of the latest research and technical resources and tools related to
- Must demonstrate ability to provide technical guidance to Missions and Bureaus charged with
executing large-scale, effective, sustainable land use programming.
- Must demonstrate excellent interpersonal, facilitation, and team-building skills.
- Must have, or be able to obtain, a Secret security clearance.
- Must be able to travel internationally.
- Preference for USAID experience.
Interested candidates should submit:
- A short written statement of interest; and
- Three relevant professional references.
Please submit your application to Devender Kumar, email@example.com. Application submissions are requested by midnight EST on Friday, March 1, 2019.
Any questions concerning this notice may be directed to:
-- Collin Green, EGEE/GCC, (202) 712-4505, firstname.lastname@example.org