The USAID Resources to Advance LEDS Implementation (RALI) Project has teamed up with the NDC Partnership Support Unit on the development of a new online navigator tool to help countries identify tools and methods to help achieve their climate commitments. The NDC Toolbox Navigator is part of USAID’s support to the newly formed NDC Partnership. The NDC Partnership is a coalition of governments and other institutions that aim to help countries attain their nationally determined contributions or NDCs by connecting them with technical and financial assistance.
An early priority of the Partnership is the creation of the NDC Knowledge Portal, an online platform designed to catalyze NDC support and implementation. The Portal will hold three navigators— the NDC Toolbox Navigator, the NDC Funding and Initiatives Navigator, and the NDC Data Explorer. The NDC Funding and Initiatives Navigator launched in November 2016, while the other two navigators will be launched soon.
The NDC Toolbox Navigator will aggregate existing resources and enable countries to identify tools that will most effectively meet their needs across a variety of topics, including adaptation, mitigation, climate finance, co-benefits, and other cross-cutting topics related to NDCs. Additionally, the Toolbox aims to:
- Enable users to efficiently navigate existing resources
- Improve user experience by creating a platform search focused on tool functionality, relevance, and practicality
- Allow users to access tools based on their stage of NDC implementation
- Connect users to support in using the resources
- Generate information on tool effectiveness and limitations via experience profiles or case studies
RALI is supporting the NDC Toolbox Navigator by:
- Identifying relevant tools and resources and cataloguing these in the Toolbox database
- Engaging stakeholders to provide input on the draft tool and using this feedback to improve the Toolbox
- Supporting stakeholders and developing country partners in using the Toolbox
The final version of the NDC Toolbox Navigator is expected to launch this month on the NDC Knowledge Portal website.
- NDC Partnership
- NDC Knowledge Portal
- USAID Resources to Advance LEDS Implementation (RALI)
- World Resources Institute (WRI)
For more information please contact:
Derina Man, RALI
derina [dot] man [at] icf [dot] com
Greg Carlock, WRI
greg [dot] carlock [at] wri [dot] org
Greg Carlock is an Associate in the Climate Program at World Resources Institute (WRI), where he develops and manages new online data tools and visualization platforms that support climate action and NDC implementation. As part of the NDC Partnership Support Unit, Greg manages the development of online navigators and data explorers for the NDC Knowledge Portal. This includes the NDC Funding and Initiative Navigator (Nov 2016), the NDC Toolbox Navigator (May 2017) and the NDC Data Explorer (Nov 2017). Prior to joining WRI, Greg was the technical lead for the CLEER Tool, a GHG accounting protocol and calculation platform developed with the US Agency for International Development that helps estimate the GHG benefits of clean energy investments around the world.
Derina Man is a Senior Managing Consultant at ICF, a global professional services firm that delivers consulting services and technology solutions in energy, climate change, and other areas. Derina provides technical and policy support related to low-emissions development strategies, greenhouse gas accounting and mitigation, and the phase-out of fluorinated gases. She is currently the project manager for the USAID Transparency and Long-Term Strategies project.