The USAID Global Climate Change Office and the USAID Resources to Advance LEDS Implementation (RALI) Project are excited to announce the addition of new modules to the online Clean Energy Emission Reduction (CLEER) Tool!
Additional Tool Features
The CLEER Tool is a web-based platform that provides a consistent and user-friendly approach for estimating and reporting greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions reduced or avoided across USAID Clean Energy programs. It allows users to estimate GHG impacts using three main approaches:
- General – Users who know the amount of energy generated or saved can estimate GHG impacts from renewable energy, energy efficiency, and fuel switching activities.
- Technology specific (New!) – Users who do not have energy data can use activity-specific data (such as MW installed) to estimate energy generated or saved and associated GHG impacts.
- Projections (New!) – Users can now create projections of GHG emissions reduced or avoided to 2030 using basic assumptions. In the coming months, this functionality will be expanded to give users options to take into account additional assumptions about future impacts.
The CLEER Tool helps operating units and implementers report on two USAID GCC indicators:
- EG.12-6 - the quantity of GHG emissions, estimated in metric tons of CO2 equivalent, reduced, sequestered, or avoided through clean energy activities supported by USG assistance, and
- EG.12-7 - the projected GHG emissions reduced or avoided through 2030 from adopted laws, policies, regulations, or technologies related to clean energy as supported by USG assistance.
The tool allows users to collaborate on calculations, review data and assumptions, and aggregate GHG estimates.
The tool is also publicly available for any users that would like to estimate GHG reductions from existing or planned clean energy activities.
- The CLEER Tool profile.
- The CLEER Tool website includes all CLEER materials, including the online tool, user guides, and (if needed) Excel-based calculators.
- The CLEER Tool Training Webinar video guides new users through use of the tool.
- The CLEER Protocol includes all technology-specific methodologies for estimating GHG impacts.
- The CLEER Fact Sheet provides background on the CLEER tool and resources.
Any feedback or questions on the CLEER Tool can be sent to [email protected].