USAID’s Global Climate Change Office and its Resources to Advance LEDS Implementation (RALI) Project worked with the Private Finance Advisory Network for Asia Program (PFAN-Asia) to estimate actual and potential greenhouse gas (GHG) reductions from 38 existing and planned projects using the online Clean Energy Emission Reduction (CLEER) Tool. As a result of nine interventions that are currently operational, PFAN-Asia reduced emissions by more than 300,000 tons of carbon dioxide equivalent (tCO2e) in 2016. GHG reductions from these 38 existing and planned projects are projected to exceed 15 million tCO2e cumulatively through 2030 (learn more about USAID’s efforts to capture climate benefits beyond the life of a project).
About USAID PFAN-Asia
About the CLEER Tool
- EG.12-6 - the quantity of GHG emissions, estimated in metric tons of CO2 equivalent, reduced, sequestered, or avoided through clean energy activities supported by USG assistance, and
- EG.12-7 - the projected GHG emissions reduced or avoided through 2030 from adopted laws, policies, regulations, or technologies related to clean energy as supported by USG assistance.
CLEER Tool GHG Estimates
- Appliance and Equipment Efficiency
- Biomass Energy
- Building Energy Efficiency
- Fuel Switching
- General Energy Efficiency
- General Renewable Electricity
- Hydroelectric System
- Wind Turbine System
- Solar Photovoltaic System
- The CLEER Tool website includes all CLEER materials, including the online tool, user guides, and (if needed) Excel-based calculators.
- The CLEER Tool Training Webinar video guides new users through use of the tool.
- The CLEER Protocol includes all technology-specific methodologies for estimating GHG impacts.
- The CLEER Fact Sheet provides background on the CLEER tool and resources.
Kevin Kurkul is an Associate at ICF, a global professional services firm that delivers consulting services and technology solutions in energy, climate change, and other areas. Kevin leads outreach and training for the Clean Energy Emission Reduction (CLEER) Tool, which enables users to estimate, track, and report GHG reductions from clean energy. Kevin also works on developing new methodologies to estimate GHG reductions from clean energy, and on developing GHG inventories and reporting guidelines.
John Venezia is a Principal at ICF, a global professional services firm that delivers consulting services and technology solutions in energy, climate change, and other areas. John manages the development of the Clean Energy Emission Reduction (CLEER) Tool, which enables users to estimate, track, and report GHG reductions from clean energy. He has 18 years of experience in greenhouse gas (GHG) inventory development, designing GHG estimation and reporting guidelines, and analyzing the costs and reduction potential of GHG mitigation strategies. He is an internationally recognized expert in energy GHG emissions and in national GHG emission inventories, and serves on the UNFCCC's Roster of Experts.