Planning for Resilience in East Africa through Policy, Adaptation, Research and Economic Development (PREPARED)
Country(s): Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, and Uganda
USAID Operating Unit: Kenya and East Africa Mission
Government Partners: East African Community (EAC) Secretariat and its Partner States; Lake Victoria Basin Commission (LVBC); Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) Climate Prediction and Application Center (ICPAC); Famine Early Warning System Network (FEWS NET); and Regional Centre for Mapping Resources for Development (RCMRD).
Period of Activity: December 2012- April 2018
The PREPARED Program built the capacity of regional institutions, national governments and communities to use evidence-based decision making to cope with uncertainty. East Africa is highly vulnerable to climate variability and change, with the key sectors and drivers of the region’s economy and community’s livelihoods at risk of being severely impacted. To address these challenges, PREPARED focused on three separate, but integrated expected results:
- Improve the climate change adaptation technical capacity, policy leadership and action readiness of regional institutions;
- Strengthen sustainable management of biologically significant transboundary ecosystems in the East African Community; and
- Enhance resilient water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) services in the Lake Victoria Basin.
PREPARED provided the framework for developing, testing and sustaining reliable, simple and practical tools and approaches that helped institutions in East Africa better plan for uncertain future scenarios. Key results include:
- 26 climate adaptation tools developed;
- 51 institutions with enhanced capacity to address climate change and provide WASH services;
- 510,918 hectares under improved natural resource management; and
- 26,850 person hours of training provided in climate change adaptation and biodiversity conservation.
Strategy & Assessments
- Lake Victoria Basin Climate Change Adaptation Strategy and Action Plan (LVB CCASAP)
- Lake Victoria Basin Ecosystem Profile Assessment (EPA) Report
- National Water and Sewerage Cooperation Non-Revenue Water Reduction Strategy for Jinja and Iganga, Uganda
Best Practices and Lessons Learned
- Best Practices and Lessons Learned: How Economic Valuation, Management Plans and Conservation Investment Plans Can Support Conservation in East Africa
- Data Sharing Allows Rangers to Better Monitor Wildlife Fact Sheet