The West Africa Mission serves Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Chad, Côte d’Ivoire, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, The Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Sᾶo Tome and Príncipe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo.
West Africa’s rich forest and coastal resources are increasingly at risk due to recurrent droughts, rising sea levels and deforestation with large consequences for economic development and food security. To address the region’s vulnerability to climate change and climate-related shocks, USAID is working with countries to improve the management of forests and mangroves, with the twin goals of reducing greenhouse gas emissions by increasing sequestration and increasing the resilience of the region’s coastal communities and upland systems. Clean energy programming will provide assistance to help eliminate the main obstacles to investment in low emissions development.
Climate Change Information
- Climate Change Risk Profile: West Africa Sahel (2016, 10 pages)
- Climate Risks in Food for Peace Geographies: Burkina Faso (2017, 15 pages)
- USAID has not yet produced a GHG Emissions Factsheet for Burkina Faso. A variety of resources provide information on GHG emissions, such as WRI's CAIT.
- West Africa Regional Environment Program
- West Africa Coastal Climate Change National Adaptation Workshop Debrief
- Mid-term Performance Evaluation of the Sustainable and Thriving Environments for West Africa Regional Development (STEWARD III) Project
- Climate Change and Conflict in the Sahel: The Potential for Increased Conflict in Niger and Burkina Faso (Brief)
- Climate Change and Conflict in the Sahel: A Policy Brief on Findings from Niger and Burkina Faso
- Climate Change and Conflict in the Sahel: Findings from Niger and Burkina Faso (Full report)
- Climate Change and Conflict: Findings and Lessons Learned from Five Case Studies in Seven Countries
- Compilation of Three Climate Change Research Reports: Ghana, Kenya, and Burkina Faso
- See USAID IDEA indicator compilation for Burkina Faso: climate, energy, environment and more