The West Africa Mission serves Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Chad, Côte d’Ivoire, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, The Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Sᾶo Tome and Príncipe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo.
West Africa’s rich forest and coastal resources are increasingly at risk due to recurrent droughts, rising sea levels and deforestation with large consequences for economic development and food security. To address the region’s vulnerability to climate change and climate-related shocks, USAID is working with countries to improve the management of forests and mangroves, with the twin goals of reducing greenhouse gas emissions by increasing sequestration and increasing the resilience of the region’s coastal communities and upland systems. Clean energy programming will provide assistance to help eliminate the main obstacles to investment in low emissions development.
Climate Change Information
- Climate Change Risk Profile: West Africa Sahel (2016, 10 pages)
- Climate Change Risk Profile: West Africa (2018, 27 pages)
- Greenhouse Gas Emissions Factsheet: West Africa Region (2019, 24 pages)
- Climate Risks in Food for Peace Geographies: Niger (2017, 15 pages)
- USAID has not yet produced a GHG Emissions Factsheet for Niger. A variety of resources provide information on GHG emissions, such as WRI's CAIT.
- West Africa Regional Environment Program
- West Africa Coastal Climate Change National Adaptation Workshop Debrief
- Mid-term Performance Evaluation of the Sustainable and Thriving Environments for West Africa Regional Development (STEWARD III) Project
- Climate Change and Conflict in the Sahel: The Potential for Increased Conflict in Niger and Burkina Faso (Brief)
- Climate Change and Conflict in the Sahel: Findings from Niger and Burkina Faso (Full report)
- Climate Change and Conflict: Findings and Lessons Learned from Five Case Studies in Seven Countries
- A Policy Brief on Findings from Niger and Burkina Faso
- Climatelinks Blog: Mapping Climate Information Services Systems for Smallholder Farmers in Niger
- Frontlines Story: These West African Women Found Prosperity in a Garden Oasis
- Frontlines Story: In Niger, Villages are Proving Credit Can Beat Poverty
- See USAID IDEA indicator compilation for Niger: climate, energy, environment and more