Opportunities for U.S. Smart Grid Suppliers in Africa
Postponed until early 2019
Due to scheduling issues, USAID is postponing this CEADIR Series webinar in collaboration with the Power Africa Initiative, originally set for December 13, 2018. Please look for an announcement soon of the new date in early 2019.
Meanwhile, USAID is hosting a half-day event on January 9 on Emerging Markets for U.S. Smart Grid Suppliers and Investors in Africa, Asia, and Latin America. Please join us in-person in downtown Washington D.C. or via webinar. Find out more and register.
On May 1, 2018, USAID sponsored a Renewable Energy and Smart Grid Suppliers Forum in Denver, Colorado, for U.S. companies interested in beginning or expanding sales in developing countries in Africa, Asia, and Latin America. The event focused on utility-scale wind and solar power and smart grid technologies and featured 35 speakers representing U.S. companies, industry associations, sectoral analysts, and U.S. Government (USG) agencies that can provide assistance. USAID is now planning a follow-on webinar in collaboration with the Power Africa Initiative to share information from the Denver forum and expand the discussions specifically on Africa, as part of CEADIR’s Navigating the Climate Economy webinar series.
- Matt Ogonowski (Energy Specialist and Activity Manager, USAID) will moderate the discussion and provide brief opening remarks and a context-setting introduction for the webinar.
- Raul Flores (Interagency Team Lead, USAID Power Africa), Victoria Gunderson(Senior International Trade Specialist, Department of Commerce), and David Riposo (Finance and Implementation Manager, USTDA) will provide an overview of emerging markets for U.S. smart grid and mini-grid suppliers in developing countries in Africa, including related to utility reform initiatives in many countries. They will also describe assistance that USAID, the Power Africa Initiative, and USG trade promotion agencies can provide to U.S. firms in accessing these markets.
- Representatives from the West Africa power sector will provide an overview of utility and government needs for smart grid technologies and services, including in planning for mini-grids and linkages with larger grids, offering insights on local and regional markets
- A representative of a U.S. supplier of mini-grid technologies will provide insights on how they assessed and accessed markets developing countries in Africa and designed their business models.
- John Kidenda (PowerGen Renewable Energy) will provide insights on assessing and accessing markets in developing countries in Africa and designing a business model.
*Note: USAID personnel should use Internet Explorer to access the Adobe Connect platform.
About the CEADIR Series
This event is part of the USAID-funded Climate Economic Analysis for Development, Investment and Resilience (CEADIR) Activity discussion series, Navigating the Climate Economy: Investing for Growth and Resilience.
This series presents the perspectives of experts in economic analysis, planning, policies, strategies, financing, and programming for climate change mitigation and adaptation, including renewable energy, energy efficiency, and sustainable landscapes. Previous webinars and presentations from this series can be found at: https://www.climatelinks.org/