Webinar: Kazakhstan's Energy Diversity through Renewables
Join the Scaling Up Renewable Energy project for a webinar that examines how Kazakhstan designed a renewable energy auction program that diversified the country’s energy mix and attracted private investment while achieving competitive prices through an open, competitive, and transparent procurement process.
Kazakhstan is a major producer and exporter of coal, crude oil, and natural gas. Despite being a fossil fuel-based economy with a surplus of energy for domestic consumption, Kazakhstan has a successful renewable energy auction program that is modernizing its energy sector.
The webinar will discuss such as, how to:
- Get stakeholder buy in to transition from feed-in tariffs to auctions;
- Create favorable conditions for private sector investment;
- Design an auction for a country that has a surplus of thermal generation capacity;
- Test the market, limit exposure, and increase competition through auction sizing and design; and
- Systematically address VRE integration challenges in the short, medium, and long term.