Rules and Submission Requirements
The Climatelinks Photo Contest 2019 is open to anyone with great photos that depict climate and development. Each entrant may submit up to five images complying with the requirements and rules below. Entries will be judged on relevance to submission categories, composition, originality, and technical quality. One winner will be selected for each topic area, in addition to an overall winner. Winners will be announced in Fall 2019 and subsequently featured in USAID’s communications and outreach and highlighted on various Climatelinks pages. All photos will also be published on a new Climatelinks Photo Gallery as well as USAID’s GCCphoto Flickr account.
Submission Rules & RequirementsTechnical requirements:
- Content: Photos “tell the story” of USAID Nature-Based Approaches to Climate Change
- High-resolution: Photos must be high resolution (minimum 1200x1200 pixels and 300 pixels per inch). The minimum size accepted is 1MB.
- JPG, JPEG: Photos must be JPG/JPEG files.
- Original: Photos must be original submissions (by photographer or with permission) and not previously submitted to a USAID photo contest.
- Photo Credit: Photos must include the name of the photographer and associated organization, if applicable.
- Caption: Photos must have a caption describing these elements. Maximum 200 words:
- Location and date the photo was taken
- Who is depicted in the photo
- What activity is depicted in the photo
- How the activity addresses climate change
- Name of the relevant program receiving USAID support (via Global Climate Change or other funds)
- Names of partner organizations involved in the program
ExclusionsPhotos will be excluded from the contest that:
- Are not in a digital format and submitted electronically
- Have been significantly retouched or altered with software
- Contain obscene, provocative, defamatory, explicit, or otherwise objectionable or inappropriate content
- Infringe on copyrights or misrepresent the work of others
- Include watermarks, time or date stamps, or logos
- Have not met all submission requirements
- Are compressed files
- Do not include photographer, caption, and location
CategoriesPhotos and captions should be relevant to one or more of the following categories:
- Women as a part of the solution
- Foundations for resilient infrastructure
- Addressing new risks to human health
- Protecting natural systems in a changing world
- Education for self-reliance
- Sustainable water & sanitation services
- Planning a food-secure future
- Powering modern energy solutions
- Reducing risks from extreme weather and shocks
- Reducing conflicts by strengthening capacity
- Climate-smart urbanization
- Adapting to change – from communities to countries
To enter the contest, visit the Climatelinks photo submission page by September 16, 2019. Submissions must include all required information to be considered. For any questions, contact the Climatelinks team at email@example.com.
How to Submit Photos
Winners will be announced in Fall 2019.
By submitting a photograph to this competition you:
- Declare you own the copyright of the photograph and it is your original work, or that you are are acting on behalf of and have explicit permission from the original photographer and copyright owner
- Declare you have permission to use the image of any identifiable individual in the photograph
- Declare USAID is not responsible for the infringement of any third party rights
- Grant reproduction rights to USAID’s Office of Global Climate Change for use in print or online materials (photographs will be credited according to USAID branding guidelines).