Global Assessments of Promising Landscape Productivity Enhancement Approaches
Agriculture's Footprint: Designing Investment in Agricultural Landscapes to Mitigate Forest Impacts
This working paper summarizes current knowledge concerning the relationship between investment in agriculture and the conversion of forest lands. It describes approaches to agricultural production commonly proposed to reduce the likelihood that agricultural investment will result in the conversion of forest land. It presents the available evidence regarding the effectiveness of these approaches in different contexts and under different conditions. It also describes actions commonly proposed to strengthen systems of governance to reduce the likelihood of deforestation.
- Productive Landscapes: Restoring Abandoned Degraded Land for Agriculture: A Synthesis of the Evidence and a Case Study from Indonesia
Sustainable woodfuels production systems
Work is underway to develop guidance for USAID on the design of programs with the goal of reducing the environmental impact of woodfuel harvesting. Attention is being given to the lessons learned from the emergence of successful and sustainable woodfuel production systems, particularly those supporting urban driven demand.
- Productive Landscapes: Lessons from Regulating Urban Woodfuel Markets: The Case of Senegal
- Productive Landscapes: Stimulating Smallholder Tree Cultivation for Woodfuel: Learning from Success in Madagascar
Community-Based Forestry Enterprises
This assessment outlines four critical enabling conditions for community-based forestry enterprises that support the combined environmental, economic, and social goals of sustainable community forest management. The assessment provides the basis for guidance currently being developed for USAID on the use of community forest management as an approach to achieve sustainable economic growth.
- Productive Landscapes: Community-Based Forestry Enterprises Indonesia Field Verification Report
- Productive Landscapes: Community-Based Forestry Enterprises Peru Field Verification Report
- Productive Landscapes: Community-Based Forestry Enterprises Mexico Field Verification Report
- Productive Landscapes: Community-Based Forest Enterprise in Mexico: Lessons from Selected Cases (Spanish version: Empresas Forestales Comunitarias en Mexico: Lecciones Aprendidas de Casos Seleccionados)