Participatory Climate Information Services Systems Development Methodology
The Participatory Climate Information Services Systems Development Methodology takes a holistic view to improving the overall effectiveness of a climate information services (CIS) system. It uses a participatory systems mapping approach that brings together key stakeholders from across the value chain, creates space for empowerment and more robust feedback of farmers, and facilitates dialogue and consensus-building for action.
This guide provides step-by-step guidance for implementing the five stages that make up this approach. It is addressed to practitioners who are involved in designing, planning, and implementing activities to improve the quality and inclusive delivery of CIS. The methodology supports practitioners to assess the factors that affect the functioning and efficiency of CIS programs, such as social and cultural norms, institutional arrangements, and information flows. It also supports practitioners to facilitate dialogue between stakeholders within the CIS communication chain, helping them to take action together to improve the system.
The guide supports practitioners and CIS stakeholders in answering the following questions:
- What are the factors that influence end users’ access to and use of CIS?
- Where are the breakdowns and constraints in the delivery and use of CIS?
- What are the most effective approaches and channels for improving end users’ access to and use of climate information?
What opportunities exist for CIS stakeholders along the communication chain to improve the functioning of the system to better meet users’ needs?
Download the Guide: (High Resolution) (Low Resolution)
Included in the Annexes of this guide are tools, templates, and training materials for facilitators. Editable versions of each Annex are available below:
- Annex 1: Literature Review
- Annex 2: Key Informant Interview Notes
- Annex 3: Stakeholder Analysis
- Annex 4: Climate Information Services Selection Criteria [click here to download instructions]
- Annex 5: Influence Relevance Matrix
- Annex 6: Key Actor Profile
- Annex 7: Work Plan
- Annex 8: Tracking Achievements
- Annex 9: Workshop Evaluation Form (version 1)
- Annex 10: Workshop Evaluation Form (version 2)
- Annex 11: Facilitator Feedback
- Annex 12: Identification and Analysis of Marginalized Actors
- Annex 13: Key Competencies and Skills for Marginalized Actors
- Annex 14: Planning Participatory CIS Systems Development Events
- Annex 15: Focus Group Discussion Guide
- Annex 16: Seasonal Calendars
- Annex 17: National CIS Mapping Workshop Example Agenda
- Annex 18: Feasibility Assessment for Opportunities Tool
- Annex 19: Action Record