Fishing Grounds and Supply Lines in Indonesia Fishery Management Areas (Part 2: Lombok)
The opportunities for development of sustainable supply lines in Lombok rely heavily on a primary aggregator, Chinese-Indonesian Pak Alun (male). His main center is based in Ampenan, on the west coast of Lombok, and most exports are shipped to Taiwan and Hong Kong. There are a handful of other exporters, but it is difficult to enter into the business. One other important area needing improvement is the hygiene practices at the handling and shipping facilities.
Excerpt from the report:
Questions focused on for the Fishery Management Area survey:
- Scale of the fishing fleet (i.e. average size of the boats);
- Types of fishing gears;
- Number of boats by fishery type;
- Dominant species in the catch;
- Fishing grounds;
- Fishing seasons;
- Use of Fish Aggregation Devices;
- Prices of fish;
- Destination markets of fish.