Greening the Grid (GtG)
The Greening the Grid platform supports countries in power system transformation and grid modernization with expertly curated information, tools, and technical assistance.
Greening the Grid is organized into topic-specific toolkits that provide concise and comprehensive overviews of emerging practices for addressing renewable energy development challenges and guidance on applying these mechanisms to develop robust renewable energy policies and strategies. The platform addresses the technical challenges around grid modernization and advanced energy integration through grid integration, Renewable Energy Zones, and distributed photovoltaics. Drawing on the toolkits, Greening the Grid also facilitates direct technical assistance tailored to the unique power system characteristics and priorities in each partner country.
The platform includes three technical toolkits to address specific grid modernization themes:
- The Grid Integration Toolkit provides state-of-the-art resources to assist developing countries in integrating variable renewable energy into their power grids.
- The Distributed Photovoltaic Toolkit provides resources to support developing countries in addressing barriers to safe, effective, and accelerated deployment of distributed solar and other distributed energy resources.
- The Renewable Energy Zone (REZ) Toolkit helps power system planners and other stakeholders to connect areas of cost-effective renewable energy generation to the grid through the REZ transmission planning process.
Inputs and Outputs:
Users can search the Greening the Grid platform and its Toolkits for trainings, videos and recorded webinars, guidebooks, factsheets, best practices and case studies on renewable energy grid integration topics ranging from operational flexibility, forecasting, storage and demand response, and many others. Users can also request assistance on specific challenges through the Ask an Expert service. In general, the Ask an Expert service is intended to provide high-level guidance. Requesters can ask the following types of questions to the Ask an Expert service:
- What options are available that might enable my country’s power system to unlock greater flexibility and facilitate the integration of renewable energy to the grid?
- How can my country’s power system better integrate wind and solar forecasting into system operations?
- What types of policy, market, and operational mechanisms are likely to be most effective to integrate variable renewable energy into my country’s power system at the lowest cost?
- What kinds of questions can a grid integration study answer, and what data and models are needed to conduct such a study?
- What examples are available from other countries?
Experts will contact requestors within two business days of submitting their request for information. If the request qualifies for assistance, requestors will be matched with the expert most qualified to help, and they will begin receiving assistance via phone or email consultations.
Accessing the tool and additional information
The Greening the Grid Toolkit and Ask an Expect service can be found at https://greeningthegrid.org/. Greening the Grid is managed by the National Renewable Energy Laboratory with funding from USAID.
Ask an Expert
Greening the Grid