Heat in Cities: Impacts of Heatwaves and Measures to Mitigate Risk
In a changing climate, many cities are experiencing higher temperatures and more frequent and severe heatwaves. The following six infographics by the USAID-funded Adaptation Thought Leadership and Assessments (ATLAS) project highlight key messages about heatwaves in cities, including the impacts of heatwaves and vulnerability to heat, as well as steps cities can take to understand and mitigate heat risks. The infographics were developed in partnership with the Red Cross Red Crescent Climate Centre, and support the Climate Centre’s Heatwave Guide for Cities, which offers urban planners and city authorities a comprehensive summary of actions to reduce the danger of heatwaves.
- Impacts of Extreme Heat: Deadly, On the Rise Globally and Preventable
- Strategic Urban Planning to Decrease Heat Risks
- Heat Risk in Cities: Understanding Urban Vulnerability to Heatwaves
- Understudied, Overexposed: Heat Impact Research Gaps in the Most Vulnerable Regions
- Inside the Heatwave: What Cities Should Do
- Working Together: The City’s Heat Team